The garlic scapes are the star of the kitchen right now and we’ve been loving this dip that combines the light freshness of scapes and summer herbs with the warm comfort-food feel of a baked snack.
What is a garlic scape?
A garlic scape is the curly stem that grows from the bulb of a hardneck garlic plant. For tips on how to harvest and prepare them, see our recipe for Farm Fresh Garlic Scape Pesto.
For this recipe, start with your scapes and fresh basil leaves.
Add the scapes and basil to a food processor and pulse until the contents look like fine granules, but be careful not to over-process them as this will turn it into a paste.
Next, combine the scape mixture with all the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
Stir together until combined and spread evenly into a small baking dish.
Bake at 400ºF for fifteen minutes or until it looks bubbly. Then, turn on the broiler for five minutes to get a lovely brown crust on the top. Remove it from the oven and garnish with rosemary or any other herbs and spices you’d like.
Let is rest for five minutes before serving and enjoy with crackers or a crusty bread. Yum!
Farm Fresh Garlic Scape Baked Ricotta Dip
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup rough chopped garlic scapes
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- rosemary for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a food processor, combine garlic scapes and basil leaves. Pulse a few times until the scapes look like fine granules. Be careful not to over-process, as this will turn them into a paste.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine scape mixture with ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir together until combined.
- Spread evenly into a baking dish and place in oven for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Optional: leave under the broiler for 5 additional minutes until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and garnish with rosemary. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.